Sunday, August 2, 2009

Where Everybody Knows Your Name


There's something in the air is Southern Cross that makes the air seem fresher and the sky look more blue, the people friendlier and the vibe, oh so relaxing. Not to mention the ability to make everyday seem like the weekend, especially when I'm drinking more beers than I'm slinging. Southern Cross is a small town part of the Yilgarn Shire located 400km east of Perth. Its industry is based in wheat harvesting and mining with most of it's population on a "one week on, one week off" schedule. I moved here when I found an ad on the internet looking for a barmaid for a couple months work, and since my bank account was rather sad looking, it seemed perect. But what I didn't expect when I pulled into into SX was to feel so happy and at home in a town with basically one street. I've been mixing drinks and helping people bet on horses for a week now and things are fantastic. I already know the locals and their signature drinks, made friends and have got a library card. As I sit on the veranda overlooking the town, I can't help but feel at peace and that I'll fit in just fine. I've even managed to meet a geophysicist who knows what Quantec is!

1 comment:

  1. Geez Laur - I can't keep track of where you are these days!

    ReplyDelete