Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Tastes Like Home

I wanted to start this off with a bit of a bang, so I called the buddies and staged a good old home cooking and games drinking night. I found a decently priced pork roast at the market down the street, and with BC Apples being in season, I thought it would be a great dish to enjoy on a rainy Saturday night. I'm also preparing BREAD! I seem to bike by bakeries no matter where I'm cycling to in the city, and I wanted that smell to fill my house. So let's get down to business.


Trip to Donald's Market

APPLE GLAZED PORK ROAST
Makes 8-10 servings  WW Points= Appr. 7pts/serving
Pork Roast- appr. 4lb
1 1/2cups applesauce
3/4cup red current or cranberry jelly
(I chose to grate the apples I had bought from the market and use cranberry jelly instead of red current. )
4tbsp beef broth
1/4tsp allspice
Place roast in shallow pan uncovered in 325F oven for 2.5 to 3 hours.
Combine all other ingredients in saucepan to heat. Add half of the mixture to roast half an hour before it's done. Save the rest to be added when served.


BREAD
Makes 3 loaves, or 3 dozen rolls    WW Points= 35pt/loaf  3pt/roll
1cup lukewarm water
1tsp sugar
2tbsp yeast (2 packets)
Let mixture stand for approximately 10 minutes or until yeast has risen to surface.
Into yeast mixture stir:
2cups lukewarm water
1 heaping tsp salt
1/2cup shortening
Beat or stir together, then stir in 1 cup at a time of 8 cups of flour.
Once mixed, knead for several minutes on a well floured surface. Put back in bowl and let rise, covered, for 1-2 hours. Dough should be double in size. Knead again and divide into three equal parts, or 36 rolls. Place dough in well greased and floured loaf pans, and let rise in a warm spot until the dough is over the top of pans. Bake at 400 F for 20 minutes.


REVIEW
The pork roast turned out amazingly. It was very moist and flavourful. The apple sauce was a perfect addition to the roast and had a great autumn feel to it. The bread was a hit and there were no rolls left at the end of the night and I was really happy with the way it turned out.

Both of these items were pretty time consuming, but the actual preparation was fairly simple. I would definitely make the roast again on any night, and I'm quite excited to make some different variations of the bread. What a success!







No comments:

Post a Comment