Wednesday, December 31, 2008

It was the best of times it was the worst of times. . .

I remember standing in a crowd in Nathan Philips Square drinking champagne from a paper cup and shivering in the cold. New years 2007/2008 looked like a promising year, not some much of a let down then the other previous new years I have endured. 2008 seemed to hold so much promise, so much adventure, and so many things that I never would have imagined would transpire.

2008 has proven to be the year that has changed my life. So many tings have changed and happened, it’s hard to keep track; and most of it seems like a movie stuck in fast forward, a blur that I need to slow down. I travelled the world this year; to Miami and the Bahamas, LA and Fiji, now Australia. I’ve lived out some of my greatest dreams; a John Mayer Cruise, several concert festivals with Jack Johnson, Death Cab, Stars, you name it. I had the most amazing job, got promoted, and made strong, everlasting friendships that have taken me literally across the world. I had the best summer of my life, lived in the greatest city, got to know who I was again. It was the best of times.

And yet it was the worst of times…I lost both of my grandmothers, Grandma Coulson in February, very unexpectedly upon arrival home from my cruise. Then Nana Rhodes, also very unexpectedly in June just after Alex’s graduation. Finally, my dearest pet Midngiht, a week before I left for Australia. All of the greatest times in this year have brought great sorrow as well. As the year winds down, I find myself trying to reflect upon what has actually happened. I still can’t believe that my grandmothers are gone, so many stories left untold, and wisdom unpassed. Also the greatest opportunities a 22 year old girl could ever ask for; some would say living a dream. But my dreams, although fulfilled are haunted as well.

Call me crazy but I don’t feel like kissing 2008 goodbye just yet, let alone sending it off with a big celebration. I’ve had my time of happiness and revel, and now I feel like it’s time for reflection and remembrance. I’ll still drink the champagne, even from a paper cup again, but replace the crowd and fireworks with an old photograph and silence and call it an early night…

(Since I wrote this, I have been peer pressured into going to the B&S Ball in Rockhampton. No silence or reflection time tonight, but this is a year I will always remember, and maybe spend 2009 reflecting on)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

3 comments:

  1. I remember Nathan Phillips Square... I can't believe some of the things that have transpired since then, especially with several of the people there. But I wouldn't change anything.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps... i feel like we were classy enough for champagne. i seem to recall pouring a can of budweiser into our paper cups at midnight. hahaha we rule

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm Nathan Phillips... I miss that happy little place. Life is funny sometimes... like we can't have so much happiness without some sorrow to balance. I'm so sorry about your grandmothers... I hope 2009 is fabulous for you!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete