Monday, December 1, 2008

Home Sweet Home?

I've been everywhere man...I grew up in Porcupine, went to school in London, lived in Toronto and somehow I've found myself on the wrong side of the world in Australia. If that's not far away enough, I've received word that returning to "home sweet home" might not be possible. Dad's office back in Timmins as amalgamating with the Toronto office, and come this time next year, mom and dad could be down living in the GTA. Yeah, you could say I'm a freaking out a little bit at the moment. What does this mean for me? Who will move my stuff, do I have a room in the potential new house? And those aren't even the big issues, actually there's only one issue...I LOVE THAT HOUSE! I can't imagine going back to Canada and not going back to that beautiful warm house in quiet northern Ontario. Realistically, I will never live in Timmins permanently again, and I see myself settling down south so it would be great to have mom and dad close by. But I just love that house on that lake and I've never felt further away than at this time. So what does a girl do when she clicks her ruby heels but there's it no place to call home?
Rockhampton is my home for now, but a new plan of action has been set up which I'm so excited for. So excited it's aleviating my feelings of the "Timmins move". Sophie, Carley and I have been dreaming and scheming to get a Kombi and travel Australia...from Darwin to Tasmania, to Adelaide and Alice Springs, and not to forget about Perth. Problem was were really haven't been sure how or when or how much it would cost...until today! Sophie and I and the rest of the HBaz family were chatting and have come up with a brilliant plan of renting a camper for 6 months to travel. We have found a company that rents custom design vans for backpackers for a very reasonable price and will include insurance and road side assistance for 3 girls who don't want to get their hands dirty! The van sleeps three people, includes a kitchen, and has a buyback guarantee when you're done with it. They also offer discounts on accommodation, entertainment and dining when you're traveling. You can check out the website at www.wickedcampers.com.au. I cannot tell you how excited I am feeling right now. We can finally plan time lines and budgets and destinations and get this thing started. I'm not working 7 days a week for nothing I tell you! I just feel so inspired and energized. I will see Australia! And for now, a new place to call home... the wicked camper.

1 comment: