Thursday, June 11, 2009

I’m not done yet.

So, my parents are moving to Barbados. Yeah, go back and read that again. "Did she mix up moving with vacationing, or Barbados with Burlington?" No no, you read it correctly. Just when I was getting used to the idea of moving back to a home in Toronto, it all gets changed. But such is my life when it comes to these sorts of plans. And I am my parents’ daughter. I can never make up my mind of where I want to go or what I want to do, and usually decide on a whim or a feeling. So I can’t expect my parents to be any different. They always said they would move around the world if an opportunity came up; and one has. Dad’s going to be doing work out of Barbados for the next few years.
This new piece of information has changed what I plan on doing for the next while. I had always assumed I’d finish my year in Australia and then go home, but since I really don’t have a home anymore, it really leaves the decision up to me, where I want to live. As I’ve travelled around the country I learn more everyday about the opportunities there are here, and frankly, it’s just too much to cover in a year.
After I was finished in Tasmania, I make a split second decision to move over to the west coast. Coming over here has been something that I wasn’t sure I would ever get to accomplish. Now that I’m here, it’s come clear to me that I really want to stay another year. In order to get a second working holiday visa, the government requires you to do three months of agricultural work in farming, fruit picking, mining or fisheries. Since I’m running low on time, I really need to get these three months done now. The search has been hard but I feel like I’ve got the resources now to get the right job, it’s just playing the waiting game to hear back from employers.
For now, I’m living with a highschool friend, Amanda Timler, who moved here a few years ago with her family. She’s been really great to put me up while I search for a job. For now I hope to enjoy a bit of Perth before I get stuck on a farm for three months. Wish me luck in the search!

No comments:

Post a Comment