Friday, June 26, 2009

No TV and Little Kids Make Laura “Something” “Something”

So, I’m a nanny. Usually the general requirements for you to be a nanny are things like cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, liking kids…wait, maybe that should have been first. Now, I can honestly say that the first three things I’m a pro at and I actually enjoy doing a lot, but the last requirement, and usually the most important is the one I have the most trouble with. I’m not going to say flat out that I don’t like kids, but I find it very difficult to entertain children, discipline them, try to figure out what’s wrong when they cry and just keep them happy. I’m clueless, and I doubt that four weeks will be enough to really get to know these kids. This has been the fist day that I have been with the kids since Kate had them in town for the last two days. Granted they are very tired today, but seriously, I just can’t do it. I feel so board and unhappy when trying to care for children. I don’t want to come off as a crappy person, but it’s just the way I feel. It kinds of frightens me because I don’t want to become a Brooke Shields and want to disown my own children the second they come out of the womb. It’s probably not the job I should have taken since I kind of know that this is how I feel about kids, but it was a great gig to get my visa and Kate is such a great lady. I just hope that I can get over myself to help these kids. Anyone have a suggestion? And don’t say TV because there is none here.
P.S. RIP M.J.

3 comments:

  1. oh man loz.... you and no tv...
    and how are the early mornings?

    go get a book from the library on fun activities and crafts for kids...

    you'll be fine, only like a few more weeks, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. *waves hello* I know that feeling, no tv and three kids often makes me something something too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. crafts!! you can do this. paint rocks, things from outside.... games!! make them read! read to them. MAKE A FORT!!

    come on loulou, you were a kid once. just think of what you liked to do. we didn't do a lot of tv watching at lakair as kids. think of all the island activities.

    love youuuuuuuuuuuuu

    ReplyDelete