Wednesday, July 1, 2009

So Canada, How About We Get Together Some Time?

I love my country as much as the next Canadian, and I’m damn proud to tell people where I’m from when they ask and revel in the pleasure when they say it’s better than being American! But to tell you the truth, I’m not all that knowledgeable about Canada as I’d like to be. I can give tourists a rundown of the highlights of where to go, but I’ve never been out of Ontario; I don’t know what birthday this is for Canada; looking at a map sends my brain into overload. Get my drift? I know nothing about my home. And it wouldn’t bother me so much, because after travelling so much over here, all I want to do is get back to explore my own backyard…but everyone is going without me! All I’ve ever wanted to do it travel, but have always had the problem of finding mates to go with, so I’ve become the fearless lone traveler and ventured out solo. Only now that I’m away have my closest network of people now decided to travel. My parents are heading out west to BC and Vancouver Island, my brothers are going to Seattle, and my friends are doing a roadtrip across Canada, or so I’ve heard. Where were all these people when I needed to go! I shouldn’t complain; I’m in Australia, but sometimes it’d be great to travel with people I know, and the best times I’ve had have been with friends. I guess I’ll just have to convince them to all go again when I come back. Oh Canada, my home and native land, I miss thee, yet I hardly know ye.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Canada, our stolen native land. Don't forget that the last residential school closed in 1995 and there are people who are as young as 30 who were raped and tortured at the hands of the church/government. Did I forget to mention the Japanese internment camps? The history they don't like to talk about. Just remember when celebrating Canada day, you cant just think about pretty mountains and beer. That being said, I fucking love this country. And what your going through now is the reason I need to see out east before travelling to foreign lands.

    Just needed to share.

    Stay black,
    Zerg

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude - when you're back here, i'm good for travelling as much as my work schedule allows! I would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude,
    Let's drive across Canada when you are done with Aus. Im not even kidding.
    xoxoxoxoxoxo
    Keri

    ReplyDelete