Friday, November 7, 2008

If sweating were a job, I'd be employee of the month


Day 5- Nadi and Tavewa Island
Arrived early into Fiji and began the slow transit to our resort on Tavewa Island, one of the northern most islands in Fiji. This consisted of a 5 hour ferry where I foolishly, nay, stupidly say on the deck the whole time and burnt myself to a crisp. By the time I realized what had happened, the damage was done. Let’s just say it wasn’t a good start to second leg of the trip. Finally got to the resort where we were greeted wish song, drinks and food. But I was anxious to see my good friend Sophie who came from Australia to meet us and her two friends Emily and Katie. When we did meet up we learned that Sophie was deathly ill from a night of partying, but we kept our spirits up. Went snorkeling just off the beach at the resort which wasn’t too bad. Some beautiful blue starfish, tropical fish and coral. However since I was in so much pain from my burn I just decided to stay out of sun
as much as possible. Had dinner after sunset and went to bed fairly early.

Day 6- Coral View/ Blue Lagoon
We decide to check out the beach on the back side of the island. On the walk to the beach we followed a trail through the bush, coming across big burrow holes in the ground. Peering into them I discovered they were spider holes…spiders that were the size of chipmunks. Needless to say I didn’t mosey over the holes. Did some swimming and shell hunting but the sun was really hot so we head back to the resort. Sophie went back early and we learned she’d gotten so much worse. We all take turns trying to help her get better. By the afternoon we all have cabin fever. Katie, Emily and I decide to take a trip another island to do a snorkeling trip off of a good beach. The water literally feels like bath water it’s so warm. The reef is amazing. So much to look at. About 100m out the shallow coral drops off about 50 feet or more and it’s a good opportunity to dive. We get back to the resort to find that Carley has successfully nursed Sophie back to better health and we spend a bit of the afternoon taking pictures and laying in hammocks. I met a wonderful Canadian couple who were the only people over the age of 28 at the resort. They had a stopover in Fiji before they made their way to Australia to go to their daughters wedding. They warned me that I not get involved with any aussie blokes or I could end up like their daughter. I think I’ll take their advice!

Day 7- Caving/ Ferry back to Nadi
This was our final day at the Coral View resort. It rained all night and it hasn’t let up in the morning. I was curious if anyone would be going caving at all that morning but to my relief there was a whole group going, and I had somewhat convinced Emily to come with me. Because we booked that day instead of having a voucher already, Emily and I didn’t go with the rest of the group, instead we went with a few of the instructors on our own. The caves we about a 30min boat ride from our island and it was great opportunity to do some sight seeing. Since it was a little story the water was a little rough…especially when you’re in a “Lakair” style boat with a 30HP Yamaha. It was a bumpy excursion riding the waves! We were fortunate enough being separate from the group to stop off at a couple other islands to let some of the locals off and see the village (from the boat). Although I must admit, it did seem a little odd that we were separated from everyone else, it crossed my mind that we may mysteriously disappear and become tribal sacrifices. But we were with really nice and trusting guides, it just seemed so horror movie plot line! Anyways, we made it to the caves; it was a walk up a crumbling concrete stairway then down into the caves. Since we came ahead of the group, we only had a group of about 6 people, 4 from another resort. The entrance of the caves looked like a cathedral with a really high ceiling- one of the most beautiful things I’ve seen. To enter the cave tunnels there is was a 3-second breath hold in a passage way, which I was afraid to do, but ended up being pretty fun. The tour itself was fairly short, but an experience that I treasure. It was the one thing that I wanted to do since I booked the trip. Our guide told us that if you didn’t come see the Limestone Caves of the Yasawas, you hadn’t seen the Yasawas at all. On the boat ride back we stopped again at one of the villages to pick up the fellow that we dropped off. He brought a basket of cooked cassava root and freshly grilled battered fish. They were so gracious to share their food with Emily and I, and it was the best memory that I have of Fiji. The locals were so nice and accommodating. Upon our arrival back to the resort we had enough time to eat lunch before it was back on the ferry to Nadi. We spent about half the time under deck where the Air-con was too cold, and then went up on deck to warm up. Since it was cloudy and a bit rainy, I wasn’t so worried about getting burnt again. That night we checked into our new dorm at the Nadi Bay Hotel and had a delicious dinner at the restaurant. I recommend the Pumping Cannelloni with coconut sauce if you ever go! Met a guy from Montreal who was traveling alone to Australia. It was nice to talk to another Canuck! We were all pretty tired, and Carley and I had an early flight, so it was to bed.

Day 8- Flight to Brisbane
Early flight to Brisbane this morning. Carley’s brother who has been living in Australia for a year and a half now was kind enough to come and pick us up from the airport. Carley’s going to be staying with him for the next couple months while I live with Sophie. Anyways, Sophie’s flight didn’t get in till 6pm and it was only 12pm. I needed to get myself to Sam’s place or find something to do for the next six hours. Luckily Sam was working at the Discount Factory Outlet mall near the airport and I was able to stash my things there until Sophie came in. So my first day was spent in a shopping center! Finally being in Australia is relieving yet so final. I feel like such an outsider here and I’m a little shy to speak. In the evening after picking up Sophie, we head to Sam’s to cook dinner and just relax for the night. Here, I don’t feel homesick!

Day 9/10- Brisbane and Melbourne Cup

The next day in Brisbane was quiet and was for running errands. I got a new cell phone and a calling card. Nothing much exciting going on. November the 4th was race day in Brisbane Horse racing is the biggest event in Australia and thousands of people get all dressed up, place their bets and drink all day! We began early in the morning with a champagne breakfast and a hospital visit. I accidently sliced my thumb open with a knife and had to go see if it needed stitches. Luckily it didn’t and I was back to the champagne before I knew it. Not a great start to the day, but the aussies are resilient. From there were took the City Cat to the race grounds. The City Cat is a boat that runs along the river in Brisbane like a bus. It’s a very nice way to see the city if you have a lot of time on your hands. It was blistering hot that day and the heels weren’t a wise choice, but it was so much fun otherwise. So these events have all lead me to my final destination, Rockhampton QLD. Nothing much going on here at the moment. Just looking for work and staying out of the heat. If sweating were a job, I’d be employee of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment