Monday, November 24, 2008

Life on the Other Side of the Equator

Since I’ve been really slack about blogging, I’m going to try to sum up my life so far as a temporary Australian.

My days were mostly spent littering the city with my resumes trying to find someone who wants to hire a casual for only a couple of months, but luckily since it’s Christmas time there is a lot of that work available. I had a few interviews and lots of call backs, but the final decision was a retail job at a bra and undie store, and a bar/restaurant job. I stated the retail job today and so far so good. I work with really lovely girls and it’s a small store, so it will be easy to work there I reckon. Oh and did I mention it’s air-conditioned, what a relief! I start my bar job tomorrow so I’ll let you know what kind of creeps I run into!

The weather here has been…intolerable. I know, I know, how can I complain when most of you a shoveling snow, but seriously, it’s HOT here. And I’m warned that it gets hotter. How will I survive! However, interesting piece of news today; big snow storm down in New South Wales and Victoria, I kid you not it looked like Canada. It is very unseasonal and bizarre for that to happen, but a pleasant surprise that there is snow here! I will fulfill my dream of skiing on this side of the equator!

I’ve been lucky enough to do a little bit of traveling so far as well. We made our way down to Bundaberg and Bagara Beach for a weekend. Bundaberg is the home to Bundaberg Rum, which is extraordinarily popular here, and Bundaberg sodas. We did a tour of the Rum factory and I am now well versed in the ways of rum making. Bundaberg is really popular for backpackers to stay because of all the fruit picking opportunities and it’s close to good beaches and good surf. We stayed right on the beach in an ultra modern holiday apartment…it was priceless. I’d like to go back again for longer.

This past weekend my friend Katie and I tagged along water skiing just outside of town. If anyone knows me, they know I can’t water ski, so I stuck to the tube! The water ski club is an a fresh water river…ahhh fresh water. Just the smell and the sound of the boat brought me right back to Lakair. Needless to say I didn’t hesitate to jump in for a swim…however it was quickly brought to my attention as I tried to coax Katie into the water, that the thing that I may need to be afraid of was CROCS! And no, not those ugly shoes, real crocodiles. Ah, the surprises never end here! But regardless, we still had a great time, and no croc sightings!

I think the thing about Australia is that it is very similar to Canada in the way of the people and politics, language, religion, etc. I was prepared to come into Canada’s bizarro world country, but as I continue to explore, I find more and more differences that seem more shocking because I really didn’t expect them. Here are a few of the things I’ve noticed about Oz that are “weird”!

You Say 'Tomāto' I Say 'Tomăto'

Roundabouts: Aussies got it going on when it comes to roads. Roundabouts are the key to keeping traffic flowing and fast. They’re hard to get used to and sometimes and don’t know which way that circle road is going to spit me out, but I’m getting it slowly.

Cell Phones: Did you know you can buy a cell phone in a box? It comes with a phone number in it which is not specified to one region, it’s local no matter where you go. No contracts to sign, no pesky registration and add ons. Just a cell phone that turns on and goes. I know mom and aunt Leslie would LOVE to have that in Canada. We gotta get on that.

Boys Fashion: Or should I say lack there of. I find it fascinating and slightly revolting that young men here seem to think it’s “cool” or remotely “attractive” to have a rat tail (and in the words of Carley Stewart) that come in all different ranges; dyed, braided, free flowing…ie, disgusting. It doesn’t end there; mullets, skullets, messy hair, acid wash jeans, popped collars that should never be popped (I know we have that in C.A. but it’s much, much worse here) faux snake skin shoes, and suped up utes (half car half truck utility vehicle). Someone’s gotta teach these boys a lesson in style. No worries mom, looks like I’ll be coming home alone!

I’ll add to this list later.

So this is my life so far on the other side of the equator, and I promise I’ll be a better blogger. Until next time, stay warm!

1 comment:

  1. Did the infamous Jack Sparrow quote ever cross your mind in the rum factory? I know it would have for me.

    "Why's the rum gone?!?"

    ReplyDelete