Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Noosa

My Friend Florian

Last night was amazing. I finally feel like a traveler again. Loren and I quickly made friends with our German roommate named Florian. He’s been here for about 4 months now and will be staying 3 more weeks before he goes back home. His original plan was to stay 3 more months, but he finds work hard to come by and feels like he’s missing out on good opportunities while waiting for work. His band has been signed back in Germany to a label so he needs to go home anyway. I understand where Florian is coming from in the aspect of work, and his stories have given me some insight for what to do and what to avoid.

Some of you may or may not know, I was very interested in fruit picking here at some point, thinking I’d get the chance to work outside and save heaps of money, but it doesn’t seem that way since I’ve been talking to other backpackers. I guess the conditions aren’t that great, you don’t get paid well, or in some cases not at all, and if you need accommodation or transport, all the money you make ends up in that. So, I’ve definitely been rethinking that as something to do.

To tell you the truth, after the next 2 weeks, I have no idea where I’m living or what I’m doing. I have about a million ideas, but I’m trying to find the one that feels exactly right.

Last week I was in Brisbane for the Sunset Sounds music festival and from that I was 110% sure I was moving to Brisbane, so much so that I’ve spent all my time researching and applying for places to live and work. But now that I’m in beautiful Noosa on the coast, I wonder if this is somewhere I’d like to live instead. Or should I go all the way south and settle in Sydney, which is such a great hub for traveling from and meeting fellow backpackers. It’s been such a struggle to make a decision. One thing for sure is I must work pretty soon, I’ll run out of money before I can get too far.

I’ve also just been reminded that I am carrying all of my possessions in 3 large bags, which means it’s not that easy to travel with. I’d love to just get rid of all my clothes, but I’m my mother’s daughter and I don’t get rid of anything.

Anyways, things are great, I will post more when I don't have to pay for internet!

No comments:

Post a Comment