Saturday, February 14, 2009

Single in the City

8:30pm, T.V. on, cell phone quiet- pathetic for a Saturday night, and a Valentine’s Saturday night at that. Feeling very dismal I put some decent clothes on and set out on a mission for my lover, moiseur chocolat (he’s French) But as I get going, I’m enjoying the cool feeling of soft rain on my skin and exploring my new neighborhood. As I walk to the main restaurant strip, I’m greeted by a hundred bouquets of red balloons littering the street. The restaurants are packed and there are couples everywhere…but I find myself not bothered and just keep walking. I realize that I haven’t really dated anyone or been in a real relationship for over 2 years. Being out of school and not in any sports or groups, it’s really hard to meet people of the opposite sex. I have no trouble meeting backpackers, and cute ones at that, but they’re just as temporary as I am.

Eventually I do end up at the grocery store and have found what I think are my fellow singletons; cute guys everywhere...with their girlfriends. There’s just no winning! I still buy the chocolate but the walk has made me feel so much better, I don’t need to eat my feelings, but it would be good just to have it on hand!

3 comments:

  1. ugh it's SO hard to meet people! i am discovering this more and more every day.

    ps come back pls.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Laura
    I definitely had a similar V-Day experience.
    I went to the grocery store myself, bought one chocolate bar instead of 7 and saw a movie (in a theatre packed full of couples), and you know what?
    I think it was the best date I've ever been on. ;)
    I'm loving reading about your travels,
    and the right boy will come along sooner than you think.

    xox
    Ally

    ReplyDelete